Manchester, Connecticut


Permit Quick Links:
Right of Way
Fire Marshal
Fats, Oils & Grease

Aquiring the Necessary Permits

Before opening a new business, or locating or relocating an existing business, in Manchester we strongly advise you to contact the following departments. By doing so, you can be sure that you are buying or leasing a property at a location where your business is allowed. You will also identify whether any improvements to the building will be required to meet building and fire codes before you purchase a property or sign a lease.  Town staff is here to assist you in this process.

Good luck with your business!

Discuss your business with the Zoning Enforcement Officer

Why? The Zoning and Enforcement Officer is responsible for issuing a Certificate of Zoning Compliance stating that the premises and building occupied by a business complies with existing zoning regulation. The certificate is required to file Adoption of Trade Name form with the Town Clerk's Office.

It is never advisable to sign a lease without first consulting with the Zoning Enforcement Officer. Taking this initial step upfront could save you lots of time and money.

Contact: Jim Davis, Zoning and Enforcement Officer
Building Department
Lincoln Center, 494 Main Street
Manchester, CT 06045-0191
Phone: 860-647-3057, *an appointment is strongly suggested.
Office hours: Monday through Friday, 8 to 10 am; 12 to 1 pm; 4 to 4:30 pm

File Required Plans and Building Permits with the Building Department

Business owners need to submit proposed floor plans for the business to the Building Department. The Fire Marshal's Office must also receive copies of proposed floor plans. It is necessary to supply information as to what type of business will be operating in the building. If the plan meets minimum standards, you will receive approval pending final inspection.

Types of Permits Issued by the Building Department

  1. Sign
  2. Change in use
  3. Fixtures
  4. Change in Layout

Contact: Greg Smith, Chief Building Official
Building Department
Lincoln Center, 494 Main Street
Manchester, CT 06045-0191
Phone: 860-647-3052
Fax: 860-647-3144
Office hours: 8 am to 4 pm

Submit proposed floor plans to the appropriate Fire Marshal's Office

A building must be State of CT Fire & Life Safety Code compliant to receive a final Certificate of Occupancy, (CO).

Contact: Carrie L. Hahn
Town of Manchester
Fire Dept. Headquarters
Lincoln Center, 494 Main St.
Manchester, CT 06045-0191
Phone: 860-647-3267
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 am-4:00 p.m. (closed 12 pm to 1 pm for lunch)

The Fire Marshals' Office charges fees for Plan Reviews, Blasting permits, Propane Refueling Stations, Propane GasTank Use at Events, Propane Tank installs, Vehicle Inspections for Flammable Liquids or Gas, Underground Storage Tank Removal, and Sparklers.

The Eighth Utilities District is a special taxing district providing Fire and Sewer services to some residents within the Town of Manchester. Call ahead to schedule an appointment and plan for five-day notice for inspection.

See the Eighth Utilities District Fire Marshal's web site for information and fees.

Contact:  Fire Marshal
Eighth Utilities District
18 Main Street
Manchester, CT 06040
Phone: 860-643-6209

Check with the Health Department

The Health Department issues licenses and conducts inspections for the following business enterprises:


  • Beauty Parlors, Nail Salons
  • Child-care (Home-based & Business)
  • Itinerant Vendors (a.k.a. public food vendors) Push Carts
  • Massage Parlors
  • Tattoo, Body Piercing parlors
  • Restaurants


  • Lead / Asbestos in existing buildings
  • On site septic system / Well

Contact: Kim Dubanoski, Chief Sanitarian
Health Department
Weiss Center
497 Main Street
Manchester, CT 06045-0191
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4 pm
Phone: 860-647-3173

Check with the Police Department

Permit/Registrations for the following are issued by at the MPD Records Division;
precious metals dealer, pawnbroker, junk dealer, raffle, bazaar, Las Vegas Night, Amusement Center and vendors.

Vendor's License: Possession of a vendor's license allows sales from the street and sidewalks of the Town of Manchester. The Vendor's license requires both a Certificate of Zoning Compliance from the Zoning Officer and a license from the Police Department.

(Note: all vendors must first go to the Zoning Department before MPD will issue a permit. Food vendors must visit the Health Department and Zoning Department prior to receiving permit from the Manchester Police Department.)

Contact: Records Division, Manchester Police Department
239 East Middle Turnpike
Manchester, CT 06040
Phone: 860-645-5512
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 am to 3:30 pm.

File Business Forms at the Town Clerk's Office 

Trade Name Certificates

Liquor permits need to be renewed annually for a $20.00 fee.

Contact:  Joseph V. Camposeo, Town Clerk
Town Hall
41 Center Street
Manchester, CT  06045-0191
Phone: 860-647-3037
Office hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm

Office of the Tax Assessor/Collector  

New business owners should speak directly to the Assessor’s Office to place the company on the Town’s Personal Property list.  The business will be removed from the tax rolls automatically after filing a Dissolution of Trade Name form with the Town Clerk’s office.

Contact:  John Rainaldi, Director of Assessment/Collection
Office of the Tax Assessor/Collector
41 Center Street, PO Box 191
Manchester, CT 06045-0191
Phone: 860-647-3012
Hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm

State of Connecticut Business Licensing Information 

Contact:   Connecticut Economic Resource Center
Phone: 1-800-392-2122
Web site:

Tax I. D. numbers are obtained from

CT Department of Revenue Service
25 Sigourney Street
Hartford, CT 06104
Phone:  CONN-Tax Information Line:  1-800-382-9463

Limited Liability Companies, (LLCs), are recorded with

The Office of the Secretary of the State
Commercial Recording Division
30 Trinity Street
Hartford, CT  06106
Phone: (860) 509-6003